Happy Friday folks!
If you’re like me, you’ve trudged through fourteen inches of snow and/or messy life circumstances to make it through another week of being who you are and doing what you do.
You’ve met (and missed) deadlines, possibly been buried in laundry and have pieces and parts of life buzzing and picking at your brain like gnats in your ear. Perhaps the bills have piled up, you’re uncomfortable with new work responsibilities, worried about your kiddos and things just seem so serious.
Admittedly, I’ve spent the last week (or two or three) bathing in a repugnant cess pool of self-pity and constant over thinking. Add to that, I haven’t had a good run in almost three weeks–this hummingbird is about ready to go beast mode on Mother Nature.
After I mumbled something about the meaning of life during in the context of melancholy poetry, my bestie scolded me gently, “Maybe you’re reading too much of your own stuff.” She is so smart!
It’s time to lighten things up a bit, don’t you think?
Whenever I’m having a bad day, I purposefully harness the power of laughter by looking at silly YouTube videos, watching Jimmy Fallon’s best, reading my favorite humorist (hey Ned!) and playing music that I don’t let my kids listen to…LOUD!
Life’s Music Playlist
- Time to draw a line in the sand or stand up to a nasty person:
—Hair of the Dog by Nazareth
- Work dictates a 3 a.m departure time for Fargo, ND followed by 10 p.m. arrival time in Denver, CO:
–No Sleep til Brooklyn by the Beastie Boys
- Jeans a little too tight?
–Brick House by the Commodores
- When you need people to pipe the heck down:
—Smoke a little Smoke by Eric Church
- Need a little romance?
—Let’s Get it on by Marvin Gaye
- Presentation to give in front of 500 people and sound smart while doing so:
–Brave by Sara Bareilles
- When the last mile of a 10 miler (or 1 miler) just isn’t going well:
–Lose Yourself by Eminem
- If you’re pissed, upset, and want to punch something:
—Fake it by Seether (explicit version works best)
- You just wanna dance!
—Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
- Get pumped up before heading into the grocery store:
–It’s Tricky by Run DMC
- Cruisin with your bestie:
—Calornia Lovin’ by 2Pac (nothing says misfits like two 40-something mamas head bobbing to 2Pac in a Ford Taurus)
- And finally, you just need to pretend like you don’t have a crappy job and that you’re a paid singer: At the top of your lungs, please (window rolled down)
—Don’t Stop Believing by Journey
I LOVE music because it has the power to fix things–or at least feel like they are fixed. Don’t judge me by my playlist, but there are times I have to bring out the big guns, shout the profanity and buy into the bad decisions other people are singing about. These tunes help me iron out irritability, remove negative energy and focus efforts elsewhere.
Well, kids…I have a router to fix, meetings to attend and toilets to clean. Time to rev up that playlist.
What songs do you listen to when it’s time for you to kick butt and take names? Share with us all in the comments below!