I’m jumping in with both feet to participate in the latest WordPress challenge called Zero to Hero . This is a thirty-day project where I will be completing daily blogging tasks in order to improve my site. I don’t expect you to read every little post (you DO have lives), but my ultimate goal is to make it better for the kind souls who have been so gracious and/or coerced into reading my ramblings.
The first Assignment? To tell you who I am.
Hmmm. That’s scary. Some of you have known (and tolerated) me for years, many are just getting to know me and a few have just popped over in the last couple of days. How does one accomplish this task efficiently without redundancy?
At the heart, my mission hasn’t changed. I broadcast my own, silly, real-life mishaps and imperfections so that yours don’t seem so bad. My pledge is to be authentic, vulnerable and positive. Even on my rare “bad” days, you should still be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel that isn’t a train, plane or automobile. You can read my full mission here if you need more time to kill and/or Facebook is down.
Now for some new stuff. Like my cutest mini-skirt, I’ll try to keep it short and interesting.
Six Facts about MamaMick:
1. I am a former government agent. At 14, I was hired by the feds to take covert pictures. Well, kinda. Actually, I took aerial pictures of farmers’ fields so that the ag agency could ensure planted crops were adherent to federal aid programs. My job was to lay flat on the floor of the airplane and snap pictures from the camera that was mounted in a hole on the floor. They needed someone short who lived by the out-in-the-boonies airport. Bonus: I got to land that single engine plane…once.
2. I have a serious shoe fetish problem. In fact, I should probably be getting help. Being aware of a problem and having the desire to do anything about are two entirely different things.
3. Sugar. Give me sugar. I work-out faithfully and belong to two gyms that I actually go to. I run, box, do yoga, and survive tough mudders and adventure races. I’m also a registered dietitian and hide my cart when friends see me at the grocery store. I haven’t met a piece of chocolate I didn’t like, there is no such thing as too much frosting and I’m not above eating spoonfuls of crystals right out of the sugar sack.
4. I’m a closet introvert. I’m outgoing, friendly and comfortable in a crowd. My smile and interest in you is genuine, but those closest to me know that I’m happiest when I’m at home with my family. I need my alone time and can disappear for hours in the woods. In fact, sometimes my kids send me there.
5. Seed catalogs excite me. Like in a heavy-breathing , sweaty palms kind of way. I apologize in advance for all of the garden posts and pictures you’ll see come Spring. Pretty sure I was garden monk in another life.
6. I’m scared to death to publish this blog. As brave as I act and as much as I preach authenticity and vulnerability, it takes every shred of courage to put myself out there like this. How can I ask you to be brave if I’m cowering behind edited words and clever phrases? I can’t! The words I write are honest, but only surface after I’ve ripped away the bulky layers of insecurity. It’s easy to be clever, but it’s terrifying for me to be candid.
As I’ve mentioned before, I want this to be a long-term and two-sided relationship instead of a cheesy, one-night stand. Thanks to your support, I feel brave enough to throw on those red heels and party dress and try this again tomorrow.